Suitable: Years 10-11
This session covers the key knowledge and skills pertaining to Unit 2 AoS 2 surrounding the body systems. It focuses on introducing energy systems and providing understanding of the acute body responses to exercise. It can be used as an introduction to the content or to consolidate student knowledge and understanding.
Students will have the opportunity to see firsthand how the body systems respond to the increased energy demand of exercise from resting levels. This will be achieved by students analysing changes in oxygen use and carbon dioxide production, heart rate and ventilation from rest to low, moderate and high intensity (VO2max) aerobic exercise. Students will assist in conducting a VO2max test performed by one of their peers in our national sports science laboratory under the guidance of an ERA sports scientist. The test data will then be used to answer a set of discussion questions. Teachers will be provided with a test report to use in their classroom to enhance student understanding in this area.
Session topics include:
- Introduction to energy production for sport in the form of ATP
- Understanding energy systems- the ‘what , why and how they work’
- Identify fuel sources- foods vs chemical fuels
- Energy system dominance and example sports for each system
- Respiratory system- overview of structure and function in relation to exercise
- Cardiovascular system- overview of structure and function in relation to exercise
- Muscular system- overview of structure and function in relation to exercise
- Practical laboratory activity- a comparison of body systems during rest vs. exercise (VO2max test)
The cost of your session is based upon the student numbers identified on your booking request. In the event that additional students attend the session on the day an updated invoice will be sent to your school for payment.
1-20 students: $33.00 per student
21-25 students: $660.00 (flat rate)
26+ students: $660.00 (up to 25 students) + $33.00 per student in addition.
Please note: – A minimum cost of $660 applies to bookings of 20 students or less when opening a new session. If your students are joining an already existing session, prices are as per schedule above.
How to book your sessions
Submit your session requests below and we will be back in contact with you within 2-3 working days. Please note: schools may be combined to accommodate demand. Maximum of 70 students per session.
Can’t decide which activity would best suit your students…
We are here to help! Just give our office a call on (03) 9480 1800 and speak with one of our education team or email firstname.lastname@example.org