Name: Matthew Koroneos
Graduated from ERA (2015): Completed certificate III & IV in Fitness & Certificate III and IV Allied Health Assistance (Physiotherapy) in August 2015.
Qualifications: Currently Completing Masters of Exercise Physiology/Bachelor of exercise science at Latrobe Bendigo; Certificate II in Sports Coaching & Level I AFL youth coaching certificate
Current role: Assistant strength & conditioning coach for Elite pathways Melbourne Rebels under 15’s Junior Gold cup squad.
Past role: Junior academy performance coach at Woodford Sports Science Consulting
Responsibilities in current role at Melbourne Rebels include:
- The main focus of this role is the long term development of future Melbourne Rebels athletes & increasing the quality of Victorian rugby as a whole.
- Planning a Periodised training program to give players the strength & fitness foundations to build a successful national campaign in March 2016 for the Junior Gold tournament.
- Lead players on best recovery & nutrition practices
- Athlete monitoring, wellness & load management using wellness questionnaires & RPE.
- Assisting with the implementation and supervision of training programs/ field & gym sessions
- Assist in leading warm up, cool down and recovery sessions as directed by head strength and conditioning coach.
- Report, present, and communicate findings with necessary persons (coaches, athletes, high performance staff)
- Develop and foster a positive exercise culture amongst the playing group
How ERA has helped me:
ERA has been a huge part to what is the start of my coaching journey. The thing that separates ERA to other companies is their wealth of knowledge and delivery of the course. ERA is littered with the most knowledgeable allied health professionals that I have come across.
Some key skills that I took away from ERA include:
- Applying myself into a range of practical situations (everything we learnt in the classroom was taken and applied to a real life situation).
- Learning in depth about important topics such as exercise programming, developing strength, power and hypertrophy, and prescribing exercise to a range of different individuals with different problems.
- Picking brains from the likes of Ashley Bigaran, Tony Sephton, Emma Gallaher, Simon Feros and Tori Carroll which immensely helped with consolidating my own knowledge and giving excellent feedback to improve myself as a fitness professional.
- It also gave me the confidence to network with my lecturers and students in my classroom. Luckily enough after putting some hard yards in during our 20 hour placement I was asked by Ashley to go trial down at the Melbourne Rebels Rugby club… and here I am now.